Saturday 17 September 2016

A Hand at Haikus

For me, the Haiku, that form of Japanese nano poetry, had till now meant delicately woven imagery written on shimmering silk in fine spidery calligraphy by Japanese beauties sitting under cherry trees laden with pink blossoms....!  I had not known that this poetry form is bound by certain very strict rules, believing rather naively that any short poetry comprising of four or five lines could be called a haiku. However, lately with this Times of India haiku poetry contest, I’ve been reading up a little about this ancient art form and I realised that it is not that simplistic an art. Rather it is a pretty complicated and difficult skill to master, being bound by certain inflexible rules; one, that it can be only of three lines, two, that these lines should contain only five-seven-five syllables, i.e. a total of seventeen syllables, three, that it should contain what is called a juxtapositioning of two images or ideas to prompt readers to reflect on the relationship between the two parts and finally, preferably contain a seasonal word or reference. Now those are pretty daunting rules, especially the last but one, even for the most poetic of poets. Yet there is one saving grace; that is that the haiku need not rhyme and can be free verse.
So I have been, for the last few days trying my hand at Haikus, scribbling all over my office note pads, my sticky pads , my home planner, my recipe diary and then those exhausted, resorting to using poor Other Half’s WhatsApp screen-page as my editing board! Of course, he has been very, very accommodating and singularly sweet about it except that one time when after I had sent him twelve or thirteen drafts of the same edited and re-edited Haiku, he informed me mildly that all my creations were gibberish for him! Yet still I keep using his screen page as my editing board because I feel that unless one sees one’s work print, in black and white, one can’t really critique it well. 
So over the last few days, after much brain scratching and WhatsApping, I have finally come out with five pieces. And though I myself am pretty happy with them, gloating secretly over what I believe to be quite an achievement (sic!), I couldn’t help but post it on my little blog to see what other’s make of it. So here they are, my very first five haikus and if you can, do let me know what you think of them. I’d really appreciate it. And just a word of warning : Haikus tend to be pretty abstract. So if you like Other Half , are unable to make head or tail of them, it's perfectly fine to think there is a madness in the writer's brain.....! 
And just for comparison, here is an English haiku by someone called Brendon Kent:

how fragile
our eggshell minds....
moon on water

Like I warned you before, you may find this example rather abstract. Initially I did too. But  I think my verses are much more prosaic, the imagery a lot easier to understand. Do read and see for yourself. And let me know.
            
             I
The Lamp’s ode is lost
In the Moon’s incandescence:
Vain its Moon-worship!

             II
I bade her goodbye
And only her eyes replied:
Two deep, brimming pools.....!

             III
Infatuation

Silverfish dart quick
Within leaves of dusty books-
You steal shy glances
!

            IV

Wish you'd only feed
My thirsty , ravenous mind:
This body's anorexic!  

            V
Summer Ennui 

Hot, sticky pages
And hundreds of black word-ants:
Frozen by the heat!


           





1 comment:

  1. Verse like water
    For a sand parched reader
    Need some more.
    😁 (Emoji not counted)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!

The masked waitress had placed a wooden tray with three little black porcelain bowls: one, the staple green chillies in vin...