Friday 27 July 2018

Crawley: the Worm with a Glowin' Bum

Today evening I spotted this thing crawling confidently across the floor. In the half light of dusk I couldn't be sure what kind of creature it was and so switched on the light. It turned out to be a funny looking thing; a cross between a caterpillar, a flatworm and a miniature armadillo. I decided it was safer for me and happier for the creature if it remained in my garden outside and so tried picking it up with the flattest thing at hand, a band aid packet. And lo behold, the moment the edge of the paper touched it, the thing curled itself into a ball, just like an armadillo!!! I picked it up on the packet and as I was transporting it to the outdoors, I noted with immense interest that it possesses a prominent spot on its bum that was glowing with a green  phosphorescence just like a firefly. I'm pretty familiar with fireflies and am cent percent sure this is not one. I don't know what manner of creature it is but it's glowing bum presented an interesting photo opportunity. So  I placed it atop the almirah and took a few snaps with my cellphone. Here they are and if you can recognise the creature, let me know. I have sent him/ her out into the garden where I hope he/she can phosphoresce to its heart's content all night long.






PS : Crawley the worm,
       Cannot help but hum;
       For how can one ever be                 glum,
       With the sun shining 
       On his little bum!

( Copied and altered a bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!

The masked waitress had placed a wooden tray with three little black porcelain bowls: one, the staple green chillies in vin...