Wednesday 10 July 2019

A Fit of Frustration


Have you heard of a 'Mukbang'? A raging entity on YouTube these days, it is a video of a man or woman eating on camera. There is nothing really special about the eater and it's the food that's placed in front of the camera that is the focus of attention as is the act of eating. The Youtuber films himself or herself eating various kinds of foods and in humoungous quantities. These mukbangs are immensely popular with each video clocking anywhere between 15 thousand to 15 million views, thousands of comments and millions of subscribers. Watching one such mukbang, I compare sadly the contrasting status of my blog: three or four subscribers, about fifty thousand visitors (that is over the last four and half years) and one or two comments on each post. हाय रे किस्मत! I wonder about what it is that is so attractive about watching someone hog food you cannot touch or smell? On the face of it, the thing sounds kind of gross but on pondering further, I come to the conclusion that vicarious gratification is the only probable answer. That and the fact that this gratification is instant. You see, this is the age of instant noodles, instant coffee, instant news and instant gratification. We have become creatures of limited patience and therefore the old pastimes and hobbies such as reading books are both passè and fading. No one has the time or the inclination to sit down, open a book or a newspaper and read at leisure. Or put pen to paper to write a letter or an email to a near and dear one. And why not, when you can derive the same quantum of instant gratification by simply watching a film of ninety minutes made on the very same book, scroll through your Twitter feed for news delivered to you in succinct 280 words or describe your life's happenings in actual photos on WhatsApp or Facebook?

I often get told by friends: oh you must publish. In the beginning, I would be flattered no end by such advice. These days, a disgruntled me just retorts icily, a sarcastic smile pasted on my face: would you buy my book?
And if that someone, still not feeling the frost of my sarcasm, answers: yes of course; I tell them, frost a degree colder: so what and when was the last book you bought? Even the most persistent of people get the hint and swallow their effusive encouragement after this.
Truly, who reads books today? Or blogs with a literary tilt?
My dreams of fame via blogging have quietly retreated underground these days. Sometimes, when they do rear their timid little heads above ground, they are pushed back into hiding by advice from supercilious relatives that go something like this: oh why are you running after fame? You must write for the pleasure of writing...karmanye vadhikaraste ......

Pah! I am not some karmayogi looking for nirvana. I lust for fame. I want my two minutes of basking in the sun, my instant gratification ...

Tell me, would you like to watch and subscribe to a channel that has a fat, fifty year old Indian woman eating bhaat(rice), maccher jhol and ekti kaancha lonka (one green chilly) on YouTube?



7 comments:

  1. Candid. If you say fat, I read it PHAT. Pretty, Hot and Tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you write a book, yes I'll buy it.
    The last time I bought a book was a month ago.
    Alongside 4 more.
    Don't be disappointed!
    Your work is loved by everyone who reads it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyy thanks. Do leave a name. That way I can let u know when the book is out.😁😁😁😁

      Delete
  3. I completely can relate to this though I am not as prolific a writer as you but do sometimes scribble my rantings
    My friends to use to encourage me to write more and be a pro but with me my laziness and procrastination takes over
    But when I tell you to plz publish I really genuinely feel you have a flow of writing which is par excellence and it must reach more readers.
    This blog is a good vent to the honest feelings.
    Lots of love and looking forward to the book by Aibee😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be surprised at the number of people who buy books.
    There was about a decade when i would enter a house and find anything and everything other than a book. Kindle it was!..
    But off late I have seen houses with books reappearing and people talking of reading.
    Yes people donot probably write feedbacks on blogs because raising a thumb or clicking on a virtual heart is probably easier than articulating ones feelings.
    As far as you tube watches and likes on food go..did you not always find chaat ka thela n eating joints more crowded than libraries as a child?
    Rest assured people do read..yes they dont write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if it takes frustrating you to get you to post a blog...that begins with a Photograph of yours....chalne do phir toh. Having said that , it was good to see a familiar face adorning the prose this time. And, a better writer than me had said....an Author(ess) often writes for himself/herself. To that end...keep writing. Cheers as usual, AiBee...Sanjeev Sengupta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Relate to each and every word. Hai re kismat is true. Why did we start writing in the first place. But be a yogi and write for us who love your writing.
    Much love
    Deepika

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!

The masked waitress had placed a wooden tray with three little black porcelain bowls: one, the staple green chillies in vin...