Tuesday 23 August 2022

I Asked Sorrow to Tea

I asked Sorrow to tea yesterday. Nothing too ostentatious, just some Darjeeling steeping in my China teapot; and crackly toast with butter, sugar and a sprinkling of pepper. Old familiar comfort food. Sorrow was wary. And bloated with sting. Not unexpected. I let the tea warm my palms. And the sweet buttery salty peppery toast soothe my heart. Then I put out my now warmed hand to her. And offered her a toast. We crunched in silence, washing down toast crumbs with the warm tea. I mustered a smile. You have to stay for long here..... I said to her. Very very long. Let's be friends. Startlingly, Sorrow smiled from behind the teacup, showing toast crumbs on her teeth. And then she let go of her sting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!

The masked waitress had placed a wooden tray with three little black porcelain bowls: one, the staple green chillies in vin...